The election is over, but the battle has just begun.
On election eve and the day after, I discussed on three nationally televised programs our nation’s challenges and how we can overcome them through a people’s movement (similar to the Labor, Women’s Suffrage, and Civil Rights Movements):
Watch Rocky’s Democracy Now! Election Night Discussion here (Rocky’s interview begins around 290:00)
I ran the race to heighten awareness and to inspire people toward effective action. As demonstrated by third-party candidates in the past (e.g. Teddy Roosevelt and Ross Perot), a third-party effort can win far more than an election if it helps to catalyze a persistent, broad-based democratic movement for real change.
Our campaign was immensely successful in getting out the word and inspiring action. (For videos of interviews and debates on television, click here, and to listen to radio interviews, click here.) For those who helped us communicate our message, I am grateful.
Our campaign was a call for the people of the United States to take charge – because they must be the leaders, and we must build a broad-based powerful movement, if we are to
- overthrow the plutocracy – government that is up for sale to the highest bidder,
- end the imperial presidency,
- restore the rule of law and the most fundamental freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution,
- end the two-tiered economic and justice systems and achieve a republic where no one is above the law,
- respect civil and human rights, here and abroad,
- end the empire-building that serves only the interests of multi-national corporations and plutocrats,
- end poverty in a nation where our presidential candidates won’t even discuss it,
- end the corporate cronyism that has caused economic devastation for the vast majority of American people,
- end the deprivation of basic health care for tens of millions of people, and
- finally bring to an end the strangle-hold the two corporatist and militarist parties have on our electoral system and our government.
Please join other engaged citizens in this continuing movement for economic, social, and environmental justice. If you are interested in working with me and others in carrying this movement forward, please send me a note, including your contact information, at email@example.com.
For now, I’ll stop writing to you and wait for you to write to me.
PS If you can, please help us retire campaign debt. Thank you!