Action Item: Close Guantánamo Call-In Week
Originally posted in January 2011
Take Action: What you can do today!
Participate in nation-wide “Close Guantánamo Call-In Week”
January 18, 2011 – January 21, 2011
Immediate steps to take:
1. Click here to locate your Senators and Representative using your zip code.
2. Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to speak to each of your Congressional representatives.
3. Demand that your representatives support (1) the closing of Guantánamo Bay, (2)dropping the ban against civilian trials of detainees, and (3) opposition against any expansion of the AUMF (Authorization for Use of Military Force).
Suggestions on what to ask as a constituent:
- …support dropping the ban on transfers of detainees
- …support the charge or release of men still in detention
- …support civilian trials of men who are charged with a crime
- …oppose expanding the Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF)
- The detention center at Guantánamo does not make us safer.
- It stands as an internationally recognized symbol of a period in which our nation abandoned one of its greatest values- respect for basic human dignity- and tortured detainees.
- Guantánamo serves to inspire those who seek to harm us.
- There is no evidence of wrongdoing with respect to many of those held at Guantánamo.
- It endures as a legacy of our government putting fear ahead of values.
*While taking this action during the national campaign is desired, this action can be taken until all suggested actions have been carried out by the U.S. Government. Our elected officials need to hear us before they will act!